Personal Essays/Speeches

This I Believe

• Go here to search personal essays by theme.
  • Go here to search personal essays by key words or the author’s age.
  • Go here to search personal essays by topic.
  • Go here to read and listen to personal essays that have been featured as a “This I Believe” Essay of the Week.
  • Go here to learn about the history of “This I Believe.”

Selected Essays

• The Power of Hello“: When he was a child, Howard White’s mother taught him the importance of greeting people. Now an executive at Nike, White believes everyone he meets deserves to have their presence and their humanity acknowledged. For him that begins with “hello.”
  • The Power of Fishing“: From her own youthful days on the water to her current work as a therapist for abused children, Johnnie Barmore believes fishing is a relaxing recreational pastime, a source of delicious food and a valuable distraction from the painful challenges of life.
  • Being Content with Myself“: Massachusetts teenager Kamaal Majeed believes being content with himself and defining his own life are more important than adhering to any racial stereotypes that his peers may try to force upon him.
  • A Goal of Service to Humankind“: Dr. Anthony Fauci says he was destined to help people with HIV-AIDS. His work at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases is fueled by his belief in personal responsibility to humankind.